Verdicts & Settlements
The law firm of Girardi | Keese has successfully recovered in excess of three billion dollars on behalf of our clients. Thomas V. Girardi has been proclaimed “The Billion Dollar Gentleman” by the Los Angeles Daily Journal for having achieved more than $1 billion in verdicts and settlements over a two-year period. The following cases are just a small sampling of the many successful verdicts and settlements Girardi | Keese has achieved over the years:
- $4.85 billion settlement with Merck for personal injuries to consumers of the drug Vioxx.
- $1.9 billion settlement with Sempra Energy on behalf of California consumers who were defrauded by the manipulation of natural gas prices.
- $1.7 billion settlement with El Paso Gas on behalf of California consumers who were defrauded by the manipulation of natural gas prices.
- $785 million jury verdict against several chemical manufacturers for toxic tort personal injury claims.
- $333 million settlement with PG&E for toxic tort personal injury claims by residents of Hinkley, California (made famous by the film Erin Brockovich).
- $300 million settlement with PG&E for toxic tort personal injury claims by additional residents of Hinkley, California (also known as Erin Brockovich II).
- $200 million settlement with Farmers Insurance for homeowners whose property had been damaged by the Northridge Earthquake.
- $90 million settlement with Lockheed, after the initial 25 plaintiffs in the case were awarded verdicts in excess of $10,000,000.
- $68 million settlement with a major pharmaceutical company for personal injuries to consumers of a prescription drug.
- $46 million settlement with Rent-A-Center for class action alleging overpricing of rent-to-own products.
- $45 million jury verdict against the Ford Motor Company in a product liability case, for a 12-year-old boy who was paralyzed due to a defective seatbelt.
- Multi-million dollar settlement with a California amusement park for 4-year-old boy who was seriously injured on an attraction.
- $35 million settlement with major supermarket for 11-year-old girl who suffered extensive brain damage after an improperly maintained light pole fell and struck her on the head.
- $30 million settlement with international insurance company for committing bad faith against a major hotel/gaming corporation.
- $25 million jury verdict against B. Braun for theft of trade secrets involving a patented medical device.
- $13 million settlement with Chevron USA for contamination of water wells in New Mexico.
- $12.5 million jury verdict against the Masonic Home for negligent supervision of counselors who committed child abuse.
- $3.55 million verdict in San Bernardino County for a young woman killed in a head-on collision on Highway 62
- $2.3 million verdict for a Long Beach resident run over by a Parks & Rec truck.
If you would like to learn more about the settlement and verdicts we have obtained, please contact Girardi | Keese